Born and bred in Melbourne, Tara Burke relocated to Sydney for a change of scenery. Now very much settled into the Sydney lifestyle, we talked to Tara about everything from what she dreams about, to what time she gets up in the morning.
1. What do you usually do Monday to Friday?
I make ceramics out of my studio in Alexandria, and am also completing an Arts/Law degree at the University of Sydney. Monday to Friday is split between the studio, classes, and the library. I also go home occasionally!
2. What time do you go to bed? And get up?
It really depends what I’ve got on. I tend to study and work best late at night, so during the semester or in the lead up to a show, I’m rarely in bed before midnight.
3. Do you think you get enough sleep?
4. Do you remember your dreams?
Sometimes. Mostly the bad dreams about kiln mishaps!
5. Do you use an alarm? If so, does it ever change?
I am a hopeless snoozer so I have alarms in my phone for 10 minute intervals from 6am-9am!
6. In three words, how would you describe your bedroom?
Light, warm and comfy.
7. Do you live on your own?
I live with my partner, Aaron.
8. If not, does your partner have the same sleeping pattern as you?
Roughly - though I'm usually last in/first out of bed.
9. Do you have anything to help you get to sleep?
I’m usually exhausted by the time I make it to bed, so I never need any help falling asleep.
10. What is the first thing you do in the morning?
Snooze my alarms until Aaron makes me get up, then jump straight into the shower.
11. What is for breakfast?
Usually just a coffee on the way to uni or the studio.
12. When do you think you are most productive?
Definitely late at night.
13. Is there anything exciting coming up for you?
A couple of exciting ceramics collaborations, lots of unexciting assignments, then my good friend’s wedding in South Africa.